Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TWD: Kugelhopf


I know -- easy for you to say!

I just officially joined Tuesdays with Dorie, and this is my first official attempt at the weekly recipe. I have to say that when I read it over, and realized how much time this was going to take, that I reconsidered my membership! It is a daunting first recipe due to the time it takes to make it.

Kugelhopf is a bread-like cake from the Alsace. The recipe includes a lot of rising and "slapping down" of the dough, plus a overnight in the refridgerator (which due to my busy scheduled turned into two nights). Many of my fellow TWDers had some of the same problems I had.

My first sign of trouble was when the dough did not rise up onto the doughook of my mixer. Happily (well, in a "misery loves company" sort of way) others had the same problem. I was also not alone with the cake not rising completely on the second round.



The result -- not bad. I followed the recipe pretty much exactly -- used golden raisins left over from the pumpkin muffins, and tossed in a few chocolate chips just for good measure. And the sugar on top is Turbinado from Trader Joes. Otherwise, no variations.
Worth the time - probably not. However, I'm rather looking forward to it for breakfast!
(ed to add photos)

3 comments:

TeaLady said...

Welcome to TWD. We have lots of fun and learn quite a bit from each other. Your Kugel looks good. I didn't care for it much. Little dry. Too many other things to try, Dorie and otherwise. Good luck with the rest of the recipes.

TourGuide Jenn said...

Thanks for stopping by! The cake was tasty - I liked it and what I took to work disappeared pretty quickly - but the pay off wasn't worth the effort. Maybe after some more experience, then I'll give it another try.

Unknown said...

Welcome to TWD!

Your kugelhopf looks great! My batter looked exactly the same. It never "climbed" up the dough hook, which just skimmed the surface. It turned out fine in the end. I made french toast with mine, and that was gooood. I might make the kugel again just to make french toast!