Wednesday, March 31, 2010

TWD: Coconut Tea Cakes


Picture this - it's just after 11:30pm. I've taken the new pup for the last walk of the night as the last of my Coconut Tea Cake cupcakes are baking in the oven. After getting him settled I pull the cupcakes out of the oven, having already put the first batch in a container to take to work. I settle into bed, warm and snugly, happy in the knowledge that I have finally reclaimed my kitchen after 2 weeks of exile. This "being a new mom thing" is really hard, even if it is only being a canine mom.

Then, just as I am about to drift off to sleep, happy in knowing I have baked and baked well, I look at the clock and realize I forgot one last step - I didn't post! Since it was after midnight, I figured a few hours either way wasn't going to matter.

So that is how I am here posting on Wednesday morning about this delicious recipe picked by Carmen of Carmen Cooks.




Since I don't have a bundt pan I went the cupcake route. I used sweetened coconut as I am a huge lover of coconut. The cupcakes took about 20 minutes and turned out moist and and so good (I've already had two!). They have just enough coconut flavor without being over powering and I love the texture the shredded coconut gives. These will definitely find their way into a rotation.

Since I made cupcakes I was tempted to find a way to top them, but I think they will show up to work "naked." They are tasty all on their own. And for my co-workers who may reject them because they need a topping, then I say "more for me!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes are adorable - I may make this as cupcakes next time! Thanks for baking with me this week. :)

Pamela said...

Hope the new mom thing is getting easier for you. :o) This was a great recipe and I loved the cake on it's own. Hope your coworkers enjoyed it, too.

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

ahhh you have a dog! how fun. I'm jealous.

I love that you made cupcakes. I am making these today for Easter. Can't wait to see how it turns out for me.

mike said...

Cupcakes are so fun - these look great! Sounds like we bake at the same time of night.... crazy! Nicely done!

Viki Kane said...

Love the cupcake version......definitely one to keep in my back pocket!