Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TWD: Blueberry Crumb Cake


Let me just start off by saying this was a winner. A quickly devoured treat at work, one that merited a call from the big big boss (I like to keep him well fed, especially as we get closer to bonus time.)! Overall, quite a success.

I must confess, I'm not a big blueberry fan. In all the wonderful ways blueberries come packaged - in muffins, bagels, yogurt et. al - I generally choose a different flavor. It's nothing personal with the blueberry. It is, after all, a super food. But for whatever reason, I'm much more fond of just about every other berry out there. Sad little blueberry!

My trip to the store to get the mighty little berry created a moral dilemma right there in the frozen food section. The fresh berries were from Chile. That seems like a mighty long way for a little berry to travel, and although I'm not an avid follower of the slow food movement, I did think about how much energy it took to get the little pint of berries there. So I decided to check out the frozen berries (Trader Joe's is so great about having a really nice variety of frozen fruit - they have plenty to choose from). They had some wild little berries grown in a forest for less money, and that sounded nice and natural. But they came from Canada - yes, closer than Chile, but still, keeping them frozen from there to California had to use a bunch of energy as well. Who knew such a little berry could create such a dilemma! I did what most people do -- I voted with my pocketbook. The frozen berries were cheaper, and I'd get more for my money. Problem solved.

This recipe came together quickly, and other than the dreaded blue batter (the frozen berries got a little defrosted when I wasn't looking!), and the pools of butter that many others had (I had to bake mine for 80 or so minutes) this was easy to do. And the results were de-lish. I think my boss said it best -- there were hints of so many wonderful things that played off each other -- I taste lemon! I taste blueberry! I taste butter! I taste sugar! Yum!


Thanks to Sihan at Befuddlement for picking this recipe. I can truly say I never would have made it otherwise, and it was a sweet and wonderful surprise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this recipe too. I did have to bake mine longer for the middle but it turned out FINALLY. I am not good with the extra waiting.

Jayne said...

This was a hit in my house. I made little mini cakes, which weren't as thick and cooked faster. Nice job - and I hope your boss remembers this at bonus time!!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like buttering up the boss - I think it's a great idea!

Unknown said...

This was a great recipe, wasn't it? Mine took a while to cook in the middle as well but when it eventually finished, it was delicious!

Pamela said...

LOL about your boss and the bonus time! I hope he liked this cake!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the great superfood recipe. I am going to try making it today. Do you have any recipe that adds acai berry juice?